Advantages of plasma cutting
Plasma cutting has many benefits, which has made it an attractive application in many different industries. This cutting process uses a gas jet, charged at great speeds to cut metal up to six inches thick at very high temperatures.
The advantages of plasma cutting are numerous:
- Cutting Speed – plasma cutters are five times faster than traditional, manual torches, and are able to cut up to 500 inches per minute.
- Wide Range of Material and Thickness – Plasma cutting robots can make precise cuts in a variety of metals and thicknesses. These plasma cutters use nitrogen, which enables them to cut steel, aluminum and other metals.
- Ease of Use – Robot plasma cutters require marginal training, making them user-friendly.
- Multi-tasking – Robot plasma cutting systems are not just limited to cutting. They can be used as gauges, lining up material perfectly.
- Safety – This cutting application uses gas that is not highly flammable, eliminating some of the safety hazards with gas cutting procedures.
- Economical – Plasma cutting is a cost effective application – it is less expensive than laser or water-jet cutting.
- Keeps Materials Cool – Despite operating at high temperatures, plasma cutting robotic systems can keep the surface of materials cool. This prevents warping and damage to paint and other coatings.